Monday 18 April 2011

Flat hunting and yoga philosophy

We have been looking at flats for the last three Sundays in a row. I was going to write that we want to buy a flat, but I'm not actually sure that is what we want. Anyway, we have looked at about 10 flats and none of them are perfect. A few have been horrible and a few have been close, but not close enough.

On the first and the second Sunday, I was having a good time. I like flat hunting when I am not desperate and I admit, I like seeing how people live. However, yesterday was not a good day. The flats were the same in the bad/good sense but the whole process made me miserable. I got in a bad mood and I started to attributing it to not having a nice flat and not being able to find one. Neither statement is true. The flat we live in now is nice enough, it just could be a bit bigger but there is no rush. Nor is it true that we wont be able to find a nice flat. There are loads of flats on the market right now, it's just hard work finding a good one.

I didn't realise this, but got sucked into my bad mood more and more. In the late evening I was begining to see what was happening, but I still couldn't shift my bad mood. The bad mood was still there when I woke up and I looked at it and decided not to act on it. Instead I acted the way I wanted to feel, which meant that I put on make-up, I was smiley with the baby and I made plans for the day.
The bad mood was with me all day but I let it just be and did my thing without letting it getting in the way.

I then got to think about Santosa, one of the niyamas, which together with the yamas are suggestions of how we should deal with people around us and how we can optimally shape our attitude and behaviour. The text below is taken from here.

Santosa: Modesty ~ Contentment with what we have ~ Acceptance that there is a purpose for everything

Santosa is having a sense of modesty and the feeling of being content with what we have. To be at peace within comes from fostering contentment with one's life, even while experiencing its challenges. When we accept that life is a process for growth all of the circumstances and experiences we create for ourselves become valid teachers and vehicles for expressing our highest nature. Accepting that there is a purpose for everything - yoga calls it karma – we can cultivate contentment and compassion, for ourselves and for others. Santosa means being happy with what we have rather than being unhappy about what we don't have.

It was exactly this that I had forgot, to be content with what one has got. Once I remembered Santosa, I was able to shift my perspective and I started to look for possibilities in the flat we live in now and how it could be used in a better way. Before I couldn't see that because I was too focused on what the flat doesn't have, instead of focusing on what it has.

No comments: