Friday 25 February 2011

I scream, you scream, all the babies scream!

I just read this, about making ice cream out of breast milk and at first I thought "ah well, what's the harm" but then I got quite pissed off!
I'm not upset because I think it is disgusting or anything. If people are happy consuming other people's body fluids, then fine by me. Who am I to judge?
No, what makes me upset is that the breast milk could have been used in a better way. If you, as a women have the extra milk, time and patience to pump out your milk, why make ice cream out of it? Why not donate it so that premature and sick infants can get the benefit of it? Seriously, why not? Such as waste to give it to adults.
In another article, one of the women who donated her milk says that:

"...she believes that if adults realized how tasty breast milk actually is, then new mothers would be more willing to breast-feed their own newborns."
Wow! The ignorance! Yes, the reason why some women don't breastfeed their babies is that they believe that it tastes nasty. On top of this silly statement, the women, Victoria Hiley works with women who have problems breast-feeding their babies. I really hope that Victoria has been misquoted or that it has been taken out of context. Furthermore, the ice cream is made with vanilla and lemon, so perhaps that is what makes it tasty.
I don't breastfeed myself and I will write a separate post on that subject, but suffice to say I didn't decide not to do it because I thought that it tastes vile.

No comments: