Tuesday 22 February 2011

Accepting the present moment- or have a cup of coffee


The cute one has begun to wake up around 5 am instead of 6 am and it kind of makes a difference. I am fine with 6 o'clock, but 5 is pushing it a bit too far. So the days are spent trying to get the baby to sleep for a longer period of time so that I can do something else than holding him and looking at him. At the moment this is going well (touch wood), he is sleeping on his own as we speak, but generally it is a bad idea to want a baby to do something that it is not doing. That is not the way forward. It is not out of spite that they do the opposite, but my theory is that it has to do with accepting the present moment. When you don't do that, i.e. wanting the current situation to be different, you get stressed and I am sure that babies pick up on that. The more you wish that the baby would sleep, the more stressed you will get and the less the baby will sleep.
What I try to do is to accept that he doesn't want to sleep or that he only wants to sleep on me and it kind of works. Whenever I think "Fine, sleep on me forever and ever then", he goes into a deeper sleep and I can put him down.
However, when that doesn't work, it helps with a cup of coffee.

No comments: